The effort to design and create our homes and offices is underrated. An idea must be transformed into designs and drawings that engineers and builders can understand. These drawings and blueprints accurately represent the to-be-built edifice. It is also fascinating how this process has evolved, from hand-drawing to creating entirely scaled 3D models of the structure. This article will delve deep into the process of creating an architectural draft, why it is essential, and how you can use it to your advantage.
What Is Architectural Drafting?
Architectural drafting refers to converting design ideas into an architectural draft containing details such as floor plans, measurements, plumbing and electrical plans. An architectural draft is essentially an instruction manual for everyone involved in the construction process, from architects and construction crews to contractors and electricians. There is a narrative behind every architectural drawing since each one serves a unique function. As a result, accurate representation is essential. These drafts ensure that contractors get a well-thought-out strategy for carrying out their construction projects. A typical architectural draft contains the following:
- Site Plan: A site plan includes existing conditions in addition to the property lines and elevations. It also provides a basic overview of the property, including existing utility lines, landscaping, and standing structures. A scaled plan is utilised for an accurate representation of the development.
- Floor Plan: A floor plan outlines the walls, doors, windows, rooms, buildings, and in-built goods like closets. The floor plan also includes the measurements and exact locations of the items mentioned above.
- Foundation Plans: Site, floor, and elevation drawings are used to create a basic plan. It includes foundation walls (width and depth), footings, support beams, columns, and piers. A foundation plan projects the building horizontally. It is essential to design a building with excellent structural integrity.
- Plumbing and Electrical Plans: These plans help plan and lay out components like the HVAC unit, plumbing fixtures, and electrical wires.
Benefits of Architectural Drafting
Architectural drafting is beneficial for both the developers and the contractors because it gives everyone involved in the project a better understanding of the scope of work. It can be utilised right from the planning stage. Here are some of the advantages offered by architectural drafting:
- Designs and drafts can be exported as editable files that can be edited at any stage of the project to revise the design or incorporate any changes in the project’s scope. This whole process helps cut costs as well.
- Software-aided design projects save a lot of time and decrease the time required for producing an architectural draft.
- Additional details such as how much landscaping and excavation will cost, which building codes must be adhered to, and how much certain materials will set you back can all be included in the planning stages.
- Given the ease with which digital drafts can be shared, the architect or construction team can add valuable comments that will be accessible to everyone working on the project using a cloud-shared network specific to the project.
Advantages of Outsourcing Architectural Drafting Services
Architectural drafting services outsourcing has been gaining popularity in recent years. Due to fierce market competition and an imminent global recession, significant companies are under growing pressure to create innovative and cost-effective building plans and technology solutions.
Some advantages of outsourcing engineering design work include having quick access to top-tier talent, expanding the scope of work you can accept, and optimising cost efficiency. Here are some more benefits associated with outsourcing architectural drafting services.
- Maintain or Improve cost-efficiency: Your competitors’ use of highly-trained offshore engineers can hinder your company’s cost-efficiency. Outsourcing some or all of your architectural drafting efforts could undoubtedly help you remain competitive while bidding for contracts. You might invest the money you saved into the business to achieve a better return on your invested capital.
- Flexible Models: The offshore agencies that help you with your outsourcing are flexible regarding the engagement models they offer. For instance, while contracting out architectural rendering services, you could use the services of an offshore design centre partner, which might mean that they would take charge of the entire project. You could also get a dedicated offshore team to work solely on your projects.
- Compliance and Regulatory requirements: Most offshore design centres understand compliance and regulatory needs. To be safe, discuss all prerequisites and constraints before the project begins.
In conclusion, architectural drafting is an important stage of a civil engineering project that could help alleviate many concerns, including cost overruns due to redesign. In unpredictable economic times, it’s crucial to become leaner and more profitable. This can be easily achieved by outsourcing your architectural design work to an offshore firm.