HomeHome ImprovementIs Water Really H2O? Contaminants a Filter Will Remove in Your Home

Is Water Really H2O? Contaminants a Filter Will Remove in Your Home

You turn on the faucet and water comes out. Do you assume that it is safe to drink, but is that really the case? According to the Environmental Protection Agency, approximately 80% of all drinking water in the United States meets all federal health standards. However, that still leaves 20% of tap water that may not be meeting safety standards. Today, we want to discuss some of the contaminants that a filter can remove from your home’s drinking water.


One of the most common contaminants in tap water is chlorine. Chlorine is used by water treatment facilities to kill bacteria and other microorganisms that may be present in the water. However, chlorine can also be harmful to your health. Studies have shown that long-term exposure to chlorine can increase your risk of cancer. A good water filter will remove chlorine from your water, making it safer to drink.

Why is chlorine in swimming pools? While chlorine is used to kill bacteria in drinking water, it is also added to swimming pools to disinfect the water. Of course, we don’t drink water from a swimming pool (intentionally, anyway!) and we shouldn’t consume tap water with chlorine. Washington County’s best water filtration systems are designed to filter chlorine (as well as other contaminants we’re about to see) out of the water. 


Another common contaminant in tap water is fluoride. Fluoride is added to many public water supplies to help prevent tooth decay. Yet, some people are concerned about the health effects of fluoride. Some studies have suggested that fluoride exposure can lead to health problems such as bone cancer, brain damage, and thyroid problems.


One of the most dangerous contaminants found in tap water is lead. Lead can come from a variety of sources, including old pipes and solder in homes and buildings. Lead exposure can cause serious health problems, including brain damage, anemia, and kidney failure.

Of all drinking water contaminants, lead is the one that is most likely to cause serious health problems. That’s why it’s important to have a water filter that can remove this harmful substance. In terms of percentages, a water filter can remove anywhere from 70 to 99 percent of lead from your tap water.

What Do Water Filtration Systems Do?

There are a variety of different water filtration systems available on the market. Some use activated carbon to remove contaminants, while others use a process called reverse osmosis. Reverse osmosis is a process that forces water through a very fine membrane, which removes a variety of contaminants, including lead.

If you’re concerned about the quality of your tap water, it’s important to do some research to find out what type of filtration system would be best for your needs. A qualified water treatment specialist can also help you choose the right system for your home.

Installing a water filtration system is a great way to ensure that you and your family are drinking clean, safe water. As a result, it’s an investment that will pay off for years to come. Once installed, a water filter will require some basic maintenance, such as changing the filter cartridges regularly. But overall, they are a very low-maintenance way to improve your drinking water. 

As well as removing the mentioned contaminants, water filters also improve the taste and smell of your drinking water. This is because they remove chlorine, which is often added to municipal water supplies to kill bacteria. While chlorine is effective at its job, it can leave your water with an unpleasant taste and smell. A good filtration system will remove chlorine, along with other nasties! 

Must Read
Related News