IP address stands for Internet Protocol address. It is the unique address assigned to every device that connects to a network. The IP address enables the connected users to transfer data on the internet. You just need to look up “whats my IP,” and you’ll be one step closer to understanding how the internet protocol address is used to identify the network interface and locate the users on the network.
Let’s move forward to discuss everything about IP addresses and help you check your device’s IP with ease.
What are the Types of IP Addresses?
There are four types of IP addresses. So all varieties of IP addresses are described below. You can use the information provided to find your network’s IP address type.
It is an open network that connects to any device. An IP address of this type can be recognized through the internet. It is already assigned to your network device by the ISP. It is a completely unique IP address around the globe. However, it sometimes costs extra to use these IP addresses.
The private IP address is totally personal. It is hidden from the devices and can not be accessed through the internet when you connect to the network through a public ID. It is mostly used in homes and small or private offices. The IP address is basically assigned by the LAN administrator, and it is only unique in a specific LAN. A private IP address does not have extra usage charges.
A static IP address is permanent. It can not be changed once the network assigns it to the connected device. It is assigned by the network administrator. It takes time and effort to find a suitable IP for your device.
Unlike static IP addresses, the dynamic IP address can be changed over time. It is assigned by the network when a device connects to the network, but it is not fixed. It is automatically assigned using the DHCP server.
What is My IP Address on Different Devices?
There are different ways to figure out the IP address on different devices. In this section, we are just going to discuss the method for finding the IP address in commonly used devices so that you don’t have to wonder, “whats my IP” anymore.
What is the IP address on my Windows PC?
- Turn on your PC and click on the start button
- Then you have to write cmd and press enter key
- The local command prompt of your PC will appear
- Then you have to type ipconfig there and press enter key again
- A list of network characteristics will appear
- The IP address of your computer will be under the heading of IPv4
Take into account that another way to find the IP on your Windows PC is as follows:
- Click on the start button and go to settings
- You have to click on network and internet settings and then on Wifi
- After that, you have to choose the Wifi network that is connected to your PC
- Open the properties of your chosen network, and the IP address will appear under the heading of IPv4
What is My IP Address on my MAC PC?
The process of configuring the IP address on MAC computers is very straightforward as described below:
- Firstly, you have to turn on your computer
- Then on the home screen, you have to click on the Apple menu
- From the menu, you have to choose system preferences and then click on the network in it
- In the network, you have to select the network that you are currently using
- And the IP address will be sown on the screen
What is My IP Address on Android Mobile?
- First of all, you have to turn on the phone and open the settings app from the menu.
- Then you have to wireless and network settings or network and internet settings.
- From there, you have to open Wifi and choose the network that is connected to your mobile
- Then you go to the advanced settings, and you will find the IP address in the list
Here’s another way to find your IP address on Android devices. It is a much easier way of finding the IP address on the android device by following this way:
- You just have to open the device settings app
- Then scroll to the bottom and tap on about phone
- From there, you have to select the device status
- The IP address will be displayed on the screen along with some other information
What is My IP address on my Apple Mobile?
The method to figure out the IP address on Apple devices is the easiest of all. Just follow these steps.
- First, open the settings app from the home screen of your Apple device
- Then tap on the Wifi settings
- The list of available Wifi networks will appear
- You have to tap on the (i) icon next to the connect Wifi network
- The IP address and other details will appear at the bottom of your screen
The IP address simply helps you differentiate between the devices. So that the user can easily access the device, it is connecting. Every device has its own IP address, and if you are thinking, whats my IP, then you need to check it manually or via an online tool.